Dr K P Kannan
Name : K. P. Kannan
Full Name : Kappadath Parameswara Menon Kannan
Date of birth : 25 May 1949
Nationality : India
Address for corresp. : Fellow and Director
Indian Planning Commission Chair Professor of Development Economics
Centre for Development Studies
Ulloor, Trivandrum 695011, Kerala India
Telephone (Office) : 91-471-44 88 81
Telephone (Residence) : 91-471-44 69 71
Fax : 91-471-44 89 42
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Educational Qualifications
PhD in Development Studies (1986) from the Institute of Social Studies, The Hague,
M A in Economics (1973) from the Department of Economics, University of Bombay. Secured First Rank and Gold Medal from the University.
B A Special Honours in Economics (1971) from the University of Bombay with Economics as the Main and Political Science and Statistical Methods as Subsidiary Subjects.
2. Positions Held
Fellow and Director (since March 2003 to present), Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, Kerala State, India.
Expert Member, Technical Secretariat of the World Commission on Social Dimension of Globalisation (2002-03), International Labour Office, Geneva, Switzerland.
Fellow (Professor) in Development Economics (since 1991 to present), Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, Kerala State, India.
Professor of Development Studies and Research Co‑ordinator (April 1995 to March 1997), Cambodia Development Resource Institute, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. On leave from CDS, Trivandrum.
Indian Planning Commission Chair Professor of Development Economics (since January 1998), Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, Kerala, India.
Associate Fellow in Development Economics (October 1983 to January 1991), Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, Kerala State, India.
Research Associate (November 1973 to September 1983), Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, Kerala State, India.
Lecturer in Economics (May to October 1973), Syndenham College of Commerce and Economics, University of Bombay, Bombay, India.
2001 (May), Visiting Fellow, International Institute of Asian Studies, Amsterdam to work on a research study on Welfare Fund model of social security for workers in the unorganised sector.
1998-99 (4 months) Consultant to the Human Resources Development Section of the Social Development Division of UN/ESCAP, Bangkok for designing and preparing study material for the Course on Poverty and Its Alleviation for policy makers and senior officials from Asia-Pacific.
1993 (April‑May): Visiting Scholar, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Namur, Namur, Belgium.
1989 (April‑June): Visiting Fellow, Centre for Asian Studies Amsterdam (CASA), University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, as part of Exchange of Scholars Programme under the Indo‑Dutch Programme of Alternatives in Development (IDPAD).
1984 (October‑December): Visiting Faculty at the Department of History, Erasmus University of Rotterdam, The Netherlands for teaching a course on Industrialisation in the Third World: The Case of India.
4. Research Reports and Studies Prepared
1. Social Security, Poverty Reduction and Development: Arguments for enlarging the concept and coverage of social security in a globalizing world, Paper prepared for the International Labour Organisation, Geneva, 2004.
2. Agricultural Development in a Regional Perspective: A Study of Kerala, study sponsored by the Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi 1999.
3. Poverty and Its Alleviation, Study material prepared for the UN/ESCAP, Bangkok, 1999.
4. Marine Pollution and its Impact on the Fishing Community: A Case Study, Research report to the Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi, 1982.
5. Employment Generation and Labour Force Mobilisation, Report prepared for the Asian Development Bank, Manila, 1980.
5. Committee Reports
I have participated in the preparation of the following reports as a member of the respective committees or as a member of the support team:
Report of the World Commission on Social Dimension of Globalisation, International Labour Office, Geneva, 2004 (as a member of the Technical Secretariat).
Report of the High Level Committee on Social Security for the Unorganised Sector, Government of Madhya Pradesh, India (2003).
Report of the Expert Committee on Paddy Cultivation, Government of Kerala, 1999.
Rural Labour Migration in India, Study report prepared for the National Commission on Rural Labour, Government of India, 1990.
Report of the Committee on Cashew Cultivation, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, 1976.
6. Publications (Books)
(Edited) (along with Mahendra Dev and Nira Ramachandran), Food Security in India, Institute for Human Development, New Delhi and Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad, 2004.
(Edited) (along with K.C. Zachariah and S. Irudaya Rajan, Kerala’s Gulf Connection: CDS Studies in International Labour Migration, Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, 2002.
(along with N. Vijayamohanan Pillai) The Plight of the Power Sector in India: Inefficiency, Reform and Political Economy, Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, 2002..
(Edited) Economics of Child Labour, Selected papers presented at the 84th Annual Conference of the Indian Economic Association, Deep & Deep Publications, Delhi, January 2001.
Health and Development in Rural Kerala: A Study of the Linkages Between Health Status and Socio‑economic Status (along with K.R. Thankappan, V. Ramankutty and K.P. Aravindan), Integrated Rural Technology Centre, Kerala Sastra Sahitya Parishad, December 1991.
Urban Labour Market Structure and Job Access in India (jointly with Gerry Rogers and John Harriss), International Institute for Labour Studies, Geneva, 1990.
Of Rural Proletarian Struggles: Mobilization and Organization of Rural Workers in South West India, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 1988, Reprinted in 1989.
Cashew Development in India: Potentialities and Constraints, Agricole Publishing Academy, Delhi, 1983.
(Edited) Towards a People's Science Movement , Papers and Proceedings of the First All India Convention of People's Science Movements held in Trivandrum, Kerala Sastra Sahitya Parishad, 1979.
7. Published Research Papers
· The Welfare Fund Model of Social Security for Informal Sector Workers: The Kerala Experience in The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Vol.45, No.2, 2002.
· State-assisted Social Security for Poverty Alleviation and Human Development: Kerala’s Record and its Lessons in Social Security in India edited by S Mahendra Dev and Alakh N Sharma, Institute for Human Development, New Delhi, 2001.
· Changing Economic Structure and Labour Institutions in India: Some Reflections on Emerging Perspectives on Organising the Unorganised in Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Vol.42, No.4, 1999.
· Rural Labour Relations and the Development Dilemmas in Kerala: Reflections on the Dilemmas of a Socially Transforming Labour Force in a Slowly Growing Economy in Journal of Peasant Studies, January-March, 1999.
· Political Economy of Labour and Development in Kerala in Economic and Political Weekly, December 26, 1998.
· (Joint author) Rural Labour Movements and Organisation in India: A Case Study of Fish Workers Struggle in Kerala in Labour and Development, Vol.3, Nos.1 and 2, July 1997-June 1998.
· State and Union Intervention in Rural Labour in R. Radhakrishna and Alakh N. Sharma (eds.), Empowering Rural Labour in India: Market, State and Mobilisation, Institute of Human Development, New Delhi, 1998.
· Levelling Up or Levelling Down? Labour Institutions and Economic Development in India in Economic and Political Weekly, 23 July 1994.
· Labour Institutions and the Development Process in Kerala in Papola, T.S. and Rodgers, Gerry (eds.), Labour Institutions and Economic Development in India, International Institute for Labour Studies, Geneva, 1992.
· (joint author), Migrant Labour in India, a study prepared for the National Commission on Rural Labour, published in Volume II of the Report of the National Commission on Rural Labour, Government of India, New Delhi, 1992.
· Towards Understanding the Dynamics of Rural Labour Markets: An Approach Based on Indian Evidence, IDPAD Occasional Paper, November 1989 and published in Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Vol. 33, No.3, 1990.
· Evolution of Unionization and Changes in Labour Processes Under Conditions of Lower Forms of Capitalist Production: A Case Study of Cashew Industry in Kerala in Das, A.N. et. al.(eds.), The Worker and the Working Class, PECCE, New Delhi, 1983.
· Data Base of Traditional Industries in Kerala: The Case of Coir and Cashew Industries in Kurup, R. S. et.al. (eds.), Data Base of the Kerala Economy, Department of Economics and Statistics, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum, 1983.
· Shining Socio-Spatial Disparities, Seminar, May 2004.
· Food Security in a Regional Perspective: A View from ‘Food Deficit’ Kerala in Dev et.al. (ed.) Towards a Food Secure India, Institute of Human Development, New Delhi and Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad, 2004.
· (jointly with S Mahendra Dev and Alakh N Sharma), Concerns on Food Security in Economic and Political Weekly, November 4, 2000.
· Poverty Alleviation as Advancing Basic Human Capabilities: Kerala in a Comparative Perspective in Govindan Parayil (ed.) Reflections on Kerala=s Development, Zed Press, London, 2000.
· People’s Planning, Kerala’s Dilemma in Seminar, January 2000, New Delh.
· Work and Employment in a Caring Agenda for the Future: A Southern Perspective, Paper presented at the International Symposium on Caring for the Future during 5-6 March 1998, Amsterdam.
· A Quick Note on Gender, Poverty and Well-being in Kerala in a Comparative Setting, Paper presented at the UNRISD/CDS International Workshop on Gender, Poverty and Well-being, 24-27, November 1997, CDS, Trivandrum.
· The Costs of Economic Growth in Asia, Proceedings of the Asia‑Europe NGO Conference, 27‑29 February 1996, Bangkok.
· Economic Reform, Structural Adjustment and Development in Cambodia, Working Paper No.2, Cambodia Development Research Institute, January 1996, CDRI, Phnom Penh.
· Public Intervention and Poverty Alleviation: A Study of the Declining Incidence of Rural Poverty in Kerala, India in Development and Change, Vol.26, October 1995, Institute of Social Studies, The Hague.
· Village Level Resource Mapping as a Basis for Local Level Land and Water Management and Development: Some Preliminary Lessons from Kerala in Environment and Economics, Centre for Science and Environment, New Delhi.
· Kerala Economy at the Cross‑roads? in Economic and Political Weekly, September 1‑8, 1990.
· Development Research in South Asia: Strengths and Weaknesses in Development Related Research and the Role of the Netherlands, University of Groningen /RAWOO/NUFFIC, The Netherlands, 1990.
· (jointly with K. Pushpangadan), Dissecting Agricultural Stagnation in Kerala: An Analysis across Seasons, Crops and Regions in Economic and Political Weekly, September 1‑8, 1990.
· (jointly with K. Pushpangadan), Agricultural Stagnation in Kerala: An Exploratory Analysis in Economic and Political Weekly, September 24, 1988.
· Ecological and Socio‑economic Consequences of Water Control Projects in the Kuttanad Region of Kerala in Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, September 1979.
· (joint author), Silent Valley Project: A Techno‑Economic and Socio‑Political Assessment, A Report prepared for the Campaign on Save Silent Valley, Kerala Sastra Sahitya Parishad, Trivandrum, 1979.
· Social Cost Benefit Analysis: A Case Study in Economic and Political Weekly, March 3, 1979.
· Kuttanad Development Project: An Economic Evaluation in Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, October‑December 1975.
· (jointly with R. Mohan), Twelfth Finance Commission: View from Kerala, in Economic and Political Weekly, June 5, 2004.
· (jointly with N. Vijayamohanan Pillai), The Political Economy of Public Utilities: A Study of the Indian Power Sector, Economic and Political Weekly (forthcoming).
· (jointly with N Vijayamohanan Pillai), Plight of Power Sector in India - I and II, in Economic and Political Weekly, January 13, and January 20, 2001.
· A Social Cost Approach to Choice of Technology in Building Construction (jointly with Spencer, RJS) in Economic and Political Weekly, November 29, 1975.
8. General and Popular Articles
· A selection of the general articles published are given here.
· Panchayat Raj Act and its Implications for Local Self‑Government and Decentralized Development: Report of a Seminar in Economic and Political Weekly, January, 1994.
· Secularism and the People's Science Movement in India in Economic and Political Weekly, February 1990.
· Taking Science to the Ordinary People in The Times of India, 23 October 1989.
· Evolution of Forestry Legislation in India in Fernandes, W. (ed.), Towards a New Forest Policy, Indian Social Institute, New Delhi, 1983.
· A People's Science Movement in Development, No.1, Society for International Development, Rome, 1981.
· Also published a number of articles and a couple of books in Malayalam for the general readers.
9. Positions in Professional Bodies and Committees
· Vice President, Indian Society of Labour Economics (2004-06).
· Member, Editorial Advisory Board, International Social Security Review, Geneva (2005-08).
· Member, High Level Committee on Unorganised Labour, Government of Madhya Pradesh, India, 2001-03.
· Member, Expert Group on Human Resource Development for Asia and Pacific, ESCAP, Bangkok, 1997.
· Member, Total Health and Sanitation Mission, Government of Kerala, 1999.
· Member, Expert Committee on Paddy Cultivation, Government of Kerala, 1998-99.
· Member, Editorial Committee, The Indian Journal of Labour Economics and Member, Research and Publications Committee, The Indian Society of Labour Economics.
· Member, Editorial Board, Labour and Development, VV Giri National Labour Institute, Noida, India.
· Member, Board of Governors, Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, India.
· Member, Governing Body, Centre of Science and Technology for Rural Development (COSTFORD), India, since 1992.
· Member, Research Advisory Committee, Integrated Rural Technology Centre, KSSP, India, 1989 to 1995.
· Member, Study Group on Rural Labour Migration, National Commission on Rural Labour, Government of India, 1989‑90.
· Member, Advisory Committee on Science and Technology for Rural Development, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, 1987‑90.
· Member, Board of Governors, State Institute of Languages, Trivandrum , 1987‑91.
· Member, Steering Committee on Irrigation, Kerala State Planning Board, Trivandrum, 1989.
· Member, Study Team on Silent Valley Project, KSSP, India, 1979.
· Member, National Committee on Post‑Literacy and Follow‑up Programmes, Government of India, 1979‑80.
10. Participation in Conferences and Seminars
(Selected ones only)
· Participated as a member of the Panel Discussion on The Political Economy of Globalisation and Social Exclusion organised by the Institute of Human Development at the World Social Forum in Mumbai on 19 January 2004.
· Presented a paper on Welfare Fund for Informal Sector Workers in Kerala at the South Asian Sub-regional meeting on Showcasing Best Practices of Social Dialogue organised by the ILO Sub-regional Office in New Delhi in Puri, Orissa during 24-26 September, 2003.
· Participated as a member of a panel in the International Conference on Poverty Reduction Strategies jointly sponsored by the United Nations Development Programme and the Royal Government of Norway and organised by the Chritian Michelsen Institute, Bergen, Norway during 15-17 March, 2001.
· Presented a paper on then Successful Promotion of Poverty Alleviation Through Human Resource Development: The Case of Kerala, India at the Seminar on Regional Experiences in Poverty Alleviation Through Human Resource Development jointly organised by the Ministry of Education, People=s Republic of China and Social Development Division, UN/ESCAP, Bangkok, Thailand during October 26 to 29, 1998 in Kunming, Yunan Province, China.
· Participated in the International Seminar on Labour Mobility and Migration in China and Asia jointly organised by the International Institute for Asian Studies, Leiden, The Netherlands and the Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, Chinese Avademy of Social Sciences, Beijing, China during 17-18 April 1998 in Beijing.
· Presented a paper at the International Conference on Caring for the Future organised by the Minister for Development Cooperation, Royal Government of The Netherlands during 5 and 6 March 1998 held in Amsterdam.
· Presented a paper at the Workshop on Rural Labour Relations in India Today at the London School of Economics and Politics, June 19 and 20, 1997.
· Key‑Note Lecture at the Asia‑Europe NGO Conference on The Costs of Economic Growth in Asia, 27‑29 February 1996, Bangkok.
· Paper on Economic Reform, Structural Adjustment and Development in Cambodia presented at the International Round Table on Structural Adjustment Programme in Cambodia, 24‑26 January 1996, CDRI, Phnom Penh.
· Policy Seminar on The New International Economic Environment and Industrialization Policies in Asia organized by the Institute of Social Studies, The Hague and the Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, 17‑30 September 1994 in Bangkok.
· Presented a Key‑Note paper on Labour Institutions and Economic Development in India at the 35th Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Labour Economics, 20‑23 January 1994 held at the Gujarat Labour Institute, Ahmedabad, India.
· Presented a paper at the Seminar on Economics and Environment organized by the Centre for Science and Environment, 27‑29 January 1994 in New Delhi.
· Presented a paper on Nonformal Education and Sustainable Development at the International Workshop on Out‑of‑School Education, Work and Sustainability in the South organized by the German Foundation for International Development, 1‑4 April 1993 in Berlin.
· International Conference on Debt Crisis, Globalization and Social Justice organized by the People's Institute for Development and Training, University of Delhi and the Indian Academy of Social Sciences, 27‑29 March 1992 in New Delhi.
· Presented a paper on Labour Institutions and the Development Process in Kerala at the International Workshop on Labour Institutions and Economic Development in Asia organized by the International Institute for Labour Studies, Geneva and the Demographic Institute, Univ of Jakarta, 4‑6 February 1992 in Bali.
· Global NGO Conference on Roots of the Future: Environment and Development organized by the Environmental Liaison Centre, Nairobi, 17‑19 December 1991 in Paris.
· Key‑Note Address on Science and Technology and Decentralized Planning in Kerala delivered at the Kerala Science Congress on 23 February 1990 in Trivandrum.
· National Seminar on Secularism in India organized by the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Bombay, 25‑27 September 1989 in Bombay.
· South Asia Consultations organized by the International Peace Research Institute and NORAD, Oslo, 5‑7 July 1989 in Horten, Norway.
· International Workshop on Innovative Approaches to North‑South and South‑South Co‑operation: A New Development Consensus organized by the Centre for International Co‑operation and Development, Ljublijana, 5‑7 April 1989 in Bled, Ljublijana.
· Key‑Note Address at the International Conference on Development Related Research and the Role of the Netherlands organized by the University of Groningen, The Netherlands and the Netherlands University Foundation for International Co‑operation, 29‑31 March 1989 in Groningen.
· Seminar on Methodological Issues in Village Studies organized by the Marga Institute, Colombo, December 1982 in Colombo.
· NGO Symposium on Environment and the Future organized by the Environmental Liaison Centre, Nairobi, May 1982 in Nairobi.
· International Seminar on Appropriate Technology, Culture and Lifestyles organized by the Consumers Association of Penang, Malaysia, November 1981 in Penang.
· International Workshop on Trade Unions and the Labouring Poor in the Third World organized by the Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, March 1981, in New Delhi.
· International Seminar on Employment Creating Research: Alternative Strategies and Interventions organized by the National Labour Institute, New Delhi and the UNDP/FAO/ILO, February 1980, in New Delhi.
· Consultative Meeting on Environmental Assessment in Relation to Basic Needs Satisfaction, United Nations Environment Programme, May 1979, Nairobi.
· As part of my professional work, I have visited (and stayed in) a number of countries and interacted with a number of scholars, policy makers and development activists.
· Countries where the period of visit/stay was more than one month: The Netherlands (more than three years), Cambodia (Two years), Switzerland (one year), Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Bangla Desh, Belgium, United Kingdom.
· Countries where the period of visit was less than one month: China, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Norway, Germany, Denmark, France, Italy, Former Yugoslavia.